Sunday, June 15, 2008

Hello from Indiana!

We made it! We have had an incredibly long week but we are here now. Here is a break down of what we have been up to:

Monday: Packing up! Thank you to everyone that showed up to help us pack up the truck. We had plenty of people and it went so fast and smooth.

Tuesday: We finished packing the car and the truck, cleaned the house and headed out. We drove from Mesa, AZ to Albuquerque, NM. My favorite state: Arizona, I loved driving through the pines.

Wednesday: Drove from Albuquerque, NM to Tulsa, OK. My favorite state: Texas, it was flat so we were able to use cruise control! Unfortunately it was incredibly windy all day so that by the time we made it to Tulsa we were exausted.

Thursday: Drove from Tulsa, OK to Terre Haute, IN. My favorite state: Missouri, it was really pretty and I loved the brick buildings in St. Louis. The picture below is pretty much what I saw for three days straight. Don't get me wrong, I love my car, but I would be quite grateful if I didn't see it's tailend for a while.


Friday: Drove from Terre Haute, IN to Indianapolis, IN. My favorite state: Indianapolis, because we were finally here. This was the only day we had any rain. We dropped the moving truck off at the apartment complex, went to Walmart and Costco, then went back for our walk through and to fill out the paperwork. Unfortunately, it was still sprinkling on and off so we weren't sure when we were going to unpack the truck. Rick talked to the Elders Quorm guys and we ended up deciding to do it Friday night since the complex was having a yard sale in the morning. Luckily it stopped raining long enough for us to get the truck unloaded. We had so many people show up to help us unpack last minute and are so grateful for all of the help, tips and support that they gave us!


Saturday: Spent all day unpacking. We have acquired a bunch of stuff in the years that we have been married and so now we are figuring out where everything goes, what to keep, and what to get rid of. Also our family room furniture is quite large and our family room is quite small. This is creating a couple of our issues. We got our bedroom set up and most of our kitchen. Hopefully in the next couple of days we'll be done and I'll post pictures of our place then. I also have to give Rick a lot of credit. He pretty much packed the house up by himself and did such a great job that nothing is broken!

Indiana is really different from anywhere we have ever lived. The radio stations are all country and religion, there is a ton of green (trees, grass, etc) everywhere, and we have to drive 10 miles to get to church. The people have been really friendly though and we love living in a complex with quite a few other medical, dental, and law students. We will try to keep everyone updated as we start our new adventure!

7 comments:

Jeff and Ashleigh said...

Congrats on your move. I'm glad you got there safely. It was pretty interesting to hear about your favorites for each day. It was really neat. Good luck in your new place. I hope you settle in quickly and make tons of new friends.

{Steve and Amanda} said...

That is so exciting for you guys. What a long trip, I'm glad we didn't have to drive that long. I seriously almost fell asleep behind the wheel, scary. The outside of your apartment looks cute, most of ours look like a hotel. You are so fortunate that you had people to help you. Can't wait to hear more about Indiana!

Emily said...

YAY! I was just talking to Todd about you folk... I said.. I assume they made it to Indiana, but I haven't heard or see anything on the blog..then the next day - you posted! That's awesome! Im so glad you guys made is safely! (Steph and the kids will be here saturday and staying a mom's for a while.)

Nanci said...

Hooray for surviving a long trip! The townhouse on the left looks just like our first place in MD.....funny. I know what you mean about the radio stations.....here they place George Michael and Sir Mix A Lot.....what's up with that? There seems to be a trend with church being exactly 10 miles away, I think that has been the same for us with every move. The good thing is that you will be able to catch up with each other on how busy your week was because you have 30 minutes in the car together. I am excited to hear about all the fun places you will travel to and check out. SO glad to hear that there are other students close by.....you will need them so much over the next four years.

Aaron and Devon said...

I'm glad that you guys made it to your new home safely! Sounds like quite the drive. I think the best part of moving is getting to re-decorate your new place and trying to figure out where everything should go. Good luck with everything!

Emily said...

Yeah! You should totally blog about it! :-)

moosh in indy. said...

Forgot to mention that Rick has a new girlfriend. Three feet tall, curly blonde.